The Red Cross offered tips for those preparing to head to shelters, as many counties on the First Coast are bracing for Hurricane Ian.
So what should you bring with you to the hurricane evacuation shelter? It is recommended to bring the following items:
- Bedding (sleeping bags or air mattresses, pillows, sheets and blankets)
- Clothing, eyeglasses
- Your child’s stuffed animal, blanket or other “lovey”; Books, magazines, cards, games, etc
- Your emergency kit (a five-day supply of water, non-perishable food, flashlight and extra batteries, manual can opener, Personal grooming and hygiene items, feminine supplies)
- Personal identification/important papers
- And your pet if shelters allow them. And their essentials, bedding, food, water, etc.
Service animals are always welcome.
Find information for open Red Cross shelters on redcross.org, the free Red Cross Emergency app or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (800-733-2767).
For more information regarding what you should bring to a shelter, click HERE.